Welcome from the Dean
Greetings! Welcome to the School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Our faculty members are devoted to providing excellent classroom and laboratory instruction, as well as outstanding field experiences and undergraduate research opportunities.
Majoring in a math or science field is not an easy path, but you will have easy access to faculty members and tutors if you need additional help. The faculty members take pride in the level of success that our students achieve. A large number of our majors have chosen to enter graduate or professional programs to continue their education, and students who complete our curriculum have a very high acceptance rate into medical, pharmacy, allied health, and graduate programs.
If you're considering a career in a math or science-related field, I'm certain you will enjoy the friendly learning atmosphere in the School of Math and Sciences at UAM. To learn more, please read our mission and vision statement below and explore our helpful links and documents. To see information on our courses and program, download the . (PDF link)
Dr. Morris Bramlett
Dean of the School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
University of Arkansas at Monticello
The School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences comprises the disciplines of biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, astronomy, and earth science.
The mission of the School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences is to offer specialization in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and natural science and to provide opportunities for all students to enhance their understanding of science and mathematics. Curricula offered in the School prepare graduates for careers in industry and teaching, for graduate studies, and for admission to professional programs including allied health, dentistry, medicine, optometry, and pharmacy. In order to fulfill our mission, we established the following goals:
- To provide academic programs which promote the development of professional scientists and mathematicians and provide opportunities for all students to enhance their understanding of the natural sciences and mathematics.
- To prepare individuals for successful careers in industry and teaching, and for graduate studies in science and mathematics.
- To provide curricula for pre-professional studies in dentistry, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, and allied health (physical therapy, radiological technology, respiratory therapy, medical technology, occupational therapy, and dental hygiene).
- To provide technical and analytical courses to support studies in agriculture, forestry, nursing, physical education, pre-veterinary medicine, psychology, and wildlife management.
- To serve the General Education program through courses in astronomy, biology, chemistry, earth science, mathematics, physics, and physical science that provide a basic background for a baccalaureate degree.
- A degree in mathematics or one of the natural sciences will open the door to a nearly limitless list of career opportunities--from careers in industry to environmental science, from education to government agencies, from research and public service to numerous health-related fields.
The School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences at UAM has designed an academic program to help our students take advantage of these opportunities.